I would use the Dell Inspiron 15 5000 for writing, using spreadsheets, browsing the internet, some basic photo editing and even watching movies or playing music in DVDs or by streaming. It is a very good laptop for this uses, with a good performance.
- It has a 15.6 inches Full HD LED-backlit touchscreen with Truelife (1920 x 1080) and a 10 finger multi-touch support. The benefits of the LED backlit screen are a lot. For example, it consumes less energy than the traditional ones. In addition, they provide better contrast and brightness and great color range. Last but not least, they have more rapid response to change in scenes resulting in a better experience for the user.
On the other hand , the touchscreen screen makes the navigation between application much easier than with the mouse, as we are now used to interact with screens in that way for example with our cell phones.
- Talking about the processor it has a 6th Generation Intel Core i5-6200U Dual-Core Processor 2.3 GHz with a max boost speed up to 2.8GHz and 4MB L3 Cache. These features are perfect for basic usage of a laptop like browsing the web, watching movies, playing music, using word processors or excel.
- It has a standard Graphics Processing Unit like the Intel HD Graphics 520 with shared graphics memory. If you are not using your laptop for 3D Modeling such as Autocad or want to play very high end games at the highest settings , this GPU will have a great performance.
- Considering computer memory, it has 8GB DDR3L 1600 MHz, It is not the latest and fastest memory available, but again, for standard uses of the laptop, it will suffice.
- It has a 1TB 5400 RPM Hard-Disk Drive. For the uses we recommended in this article, you won't have any problems of lack of disk space. To make an idea, in 1TB you could store up to 1000 movies, for example.
It has 1 USB 3.0 ports and 2 USB 2.0 ports, to connect to different devices such as external disk drives, cell phones, dvd players, printers and the wide range of products that use usb connections today.
It has HDMI 1.4 port, which you can use it to connect it to a TV.
Last but not least, it comes with Windows 10 Home, 64-bit. If you are not a technical guy, having Windows already installed is a great feature as you will be able to start using the laptop after buying it.
Product PerformanceI like the possibility to browse the web using the touchscreen, as we are now used to these type of screens in our cell phones or tablets. In addition, the fact that it has a DVD player incorporated is one of my favorite features. Of course you could use the USB ports to connect an external unit if it had not one, but it is not practical. That happened to me in the previous laptop I owned.
What I don't like are the touchpad buttons as they are not really buttons but are incorporated into the mouse pad itself making it not intuitive to work with it. However, as it has a touchscreen, most of the work can be done in that way.
DimensionsThe dimensions of this laptop are 15 x 10.2 x 0.9 inches. It weights 5.4 pounds.
- multi touch support
- backlit keyboard
- good size (not too big, not too small)
- it comes with a CD/DVD reader/writer
- battery lasts only 4 hours
- the screen is not anti-glare.
- touchpad buttons are not really buttons but incorporated to the pad itself.
PriceIt is not usual to find a laptop with all the features this one has at this price point. It is a great deal for this money and the consumer will get their money's worth.
Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Touchscreen Laptop RatingThe Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Touchscreen Laptop has a great performance for common tasks such as using Word or Excel, watching movies or music and browsing the internet. It is not the best laptop if you need to do some heavy 3D modelling or playing the last games that need heavy image processing. In this last case, you would need a laptop with more features such as a better graphics card, more memory or a better processor.
However, it is difficult to find a laptop with all the features this one has at this price point.